01 August 2022
Baseline needs assessment finalized!
We have been working on the basis of the needs assessment data since last year. After intensive work, it has now finally been completed as a document.
You can find the document here.
We teamed up with experts: together with HEDERA and the IMPACT-R project, based at the Institute for Advanced Sustainability Studies in Potsdam (IASS), the African Center of Excellence in Energy for Sustainable Development at the University of Rwanda and the experts Alfons Üllenberg and Celestin Karamira, we conducted a household survey and a needs assessment last year:
- 245 out of 600 households in the villages of Bisagara and Rugarama were surveyed on electricity, cooking energy, water, hygiene and nutrition by students from the African Center of Excellence with the support of an Android app.
- In seven "Focus Group Discussions" we talked in homogeneous groups about the current situation and about wishes and visions for the future. The groups were: Shopkeepers, Primary School teachers, Secondary School students in the final year, savings groups members, three different farmer groups.
- We talked intensively about the future development of the villages with nine individuals in important positions in the village or region: the Juru sector secretary, the Juru cell secretary, the mayors of Bisagara and Rugarama, the Sacco manager, the local nurse, the Catholic Church representative, the primary and secondary school headmasters.
The following needs have been identified, listed by priority:
1. Availability of clean drinking water in sufficient quantity.
2. Availability of electricity
3. Availability of optimised cooking appliances with minimal wood consumption.
The income level is generally very low. There is also a lack of water in agriculture. Some of the population has temporary food restrictions. Please read the details in the report.
Our thanks go to Dr Natalia Realpe Carrillo and Dr Alfonso Caiazzo of HEDERA and IMPACT-R for developing the questionnaire, providing the technology and expert guidance before, during and after the household survey. Special thanks to Dr Grace Mbungu of IASS for her advice on getting the household questionnaire and the needs assessment questions right. The Focus Group Discussions and individual interviews were moderated and translated with great dedication by Alfons Üllenberg and Celestin Karamira. A big thank you also to the team of interviewers: Valentine Mukakamana, Princesse Uwase, Ange Noelle Izere, Kessy Jabukiro and Octave Gashakamba, as well as to the African Center of Excellence team: Dr. Alice Ikuzwe, Dr. Charle Kabiri and James Ntaganda.